Web Dev 6
No web projects are created by just one person—collaboration with other people is fundamental to successful websites. Teams of students organize and create large-scale websites using project management tools, version control systems, online messaging, and issue trackers.
We’re still working on transitioning this course to this new system.
Exercises — 70%
0 exercises @ Infinity% each.
- Pass/fail — marked in class or automated.
- Personal feedback given at specific intervals.
Big projects — 30%
0 milestones @ Infinity% each.
- Letter grade.
- Proof you learned everything.
Course learning requirements
Use modern tools to make websites
- Host websites on cloud platforms
- Use version control software to track code changes
- Use online collaboration tools for getting assistance
- Get feedback from automated tools and apply the suggested changes
- Use popular code generators and preprocessors
Work efficiently in teams
- Delegate tasks to different team members
- Follow popular project management approaches
- Use popular project management organization tools
- Create planned deliverables after development sprints
- Use popular online chat systems for team communication
Prepare websites for multiple devices and use cases
- Make adaptive layouts that change and respond to different devices, screen sizes & type sizes
- Use design techniques to structure layouts for increased usability of a website to meet any user’s need
- Apply techniques for making websites load quickly
Systemize website content
- Organize content with plain language and diagrams
- Prioritize content to target both humans and computers
- Structure content into reproducible systems
- Use templates and modules to significantly reduce website duplication
Develop a functional web application
- Apply all web development knowledge & skills
- Develop solutions to enhance user interaction
- Use properly licensed and pre-build tools and code to enhance a website
- Template & design important application screens
Vocational learning outcomes
|1 — Conceptualize and develop design solutions using principles of design to create visual communications that meet the needs of the projects.|
|2 — Employ the design process to create design solutions that meet the project objectives and the needs of the client and/or user.|
|3 — Plan, create and use photography, illustration and typography in design layouts to meet the requirements of the creative brief.|
|4 — Design, develop and create a variety of media products using relevant, current and/or emerging technologies.|
|5 — Communicate ideas, design concepts and opinions clearly and persuasively to others.|
|6 — Use recognized industry practices throughout the design process and related business tasks.|
|7 — Plan, implement, and evaluate graphic design projects using project management skills to deliver quality work to clients according to schedule and within budget.|
|8 — Complete all work in a professional and ethical manner, and in accordance with all applicable legislation and regulations.|
|9 — Keep current with visual media design trends, technologies and industry practices using strategies that enhance work performance and guide professional development.|
|10 — Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.|
Essential employability skills
|1 — Communicate clearly, concisely and correctly in the written, spoken and visual form that fulfills the purpose and meets the needs of the audience.|
|2 — Respond to written, spoken or visual messages in a manner that ensures effective communication.|
|3 — Execute mathematical operations accurately.|
|4 — Apply a systematic approach to solve problems.|
|5 — Use a variety of thinking skills to anticipate and solve problems.|
|6 — Locate, select, organize and document information using appropriate technology and information systems.|
|7 — Analyze, evaluate and apply relevant information from a variety of sources.|
|8 — Show respect for diverse opinions, values, belief systems and contributions of others.|
|9 — Interact with others in groups or teams in ways that contribute to effective working relationships and the achievement of goals.|
|10 — Manage the use of time and other resources to complete projects.|
|11 — Take responsibility for one's own actions, decisions and consequences.|