Branching woes & branching goes
What & why
Understanding Git branching, and GitHub Flow, is critical to working as a team on the same codebase.
There are lots of steps to the process and we need to get a visualization, in our heads, of how everything fits together.
We’re going to label a visualization of Git commits & branches to help understand the problem.
- Form into pairs, not necessarily your teams
- Download this graphical Git log
- Label all the important bits
- Answer some questions about the Git log
Label these things
- Note all the commits
- Label the
- Give each feature branch a name
- Note where a branch was created
- Note where a pull request & merge happened
Answer these questions
- A — Is the green button visible on the live website?
- B — Why is the readme visible in this branch’s code?
- C — Why aren’t the cards visible on the live website?
- D — Can the green button be included in the cards?
- E — How would the cards branch get access to buttons?