Form design best practices
What & why
We all hate forms. Form design is difficult & requires a lot of attention to detail.
There are lots of resources available for form design—it’s just difficult to figure out what practices are good & bad.
Let’s crowd-source the knowledge we need to make the best forms.
- Form into pairs
- Download & print the bad form design
- Get out a pencil to markup the form
- Use your search-foo to find best practices for forms & error messages
- Write out on the paper how to improve the form
- We’ll discuss the results together
- Location of labels in relation to inputs
- Size & clarity of buttons & fields
- Language & text
- Accessibility (screen readers, colour blindness)
- Obviousness of errors